Todd Akin, Asshole of the Day for July 10, 2014
We didn’t start Asshole of the Day until May 2013, so we missed Todd Akin the first time around. But he’s back, and he has a book, and God help us all, it sort of sounds like he might run again.
Back in 2013 he said:
"if it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."
But apparently the criticism he faced for that, which helped to derail his senate campaign, was not enough. Rather than just slink away, he wants to talk about it again 2 years later. He rescinds his apology and says he was right all along:
"By asking the public at large for forgiveness," Akin says in the book, "I was validating the willful misinterpretation of what I had said."
He adds that the media misconstrued his words and explains why he’s still right about rape and pregnancy. "My comment about a woman’s body shutting the pregnancy down was directed to the impact of stress of fertilization. This is something fertility doctors debate and discuss. Doubt me? Google ‘stress and infertility,’ and you will find a library of research" on the impact of stress on fertilization, he writes.
And Akin doubles down on the term “legitimate,” which he says refers to a rape claim that can be proved by “evidence,” as opposed to one used “to avoid an unwanted pregnancy.”
But of course Todd Akin is wrong, wrong, wrong. As we pointed out last year when we named Rep. Trent Franks as Asshole of the Day for claiming “the incidence of rape resulting in pregnancy is very low.”, women do get pregnant from rape. Lots of them. It’s not a small number— 30,000 women get pregnant by rape each year:
Medical experts agree that rape does not lower the incidence of pregnancy, with one study by the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology finding that more than 30,000 pregnancies result from rape in the United States each year.
And why does it matter that Todd Akin is wrong about this? And why does he keep saying that rape somehow magically prevents pregnancy? Because majorities of Americans have consistently supported abortion as an option in cases of rape. But guys like Todd Akin want to outlaw abortion in every case, so to get people to go along, they have to convince people that they aren’t forcing rape victims to carry and raise rape babies. And the way some of them do it is by coming up with cockamamie arguments that raped women don’t get pregnant because then there doesn’t need to be any exception. That’s why.
Which is also why Akin is suggesting that some rapes aren’t legitimate— because by defining legitimate rapes as so horrible the woman’s body is so stressed it doesn’t become pregnant, then he’s defined away all those other women as not being legitimately raped.
It’s horrible and offensive that Akin made this argument to start, and even more offensive that he’s still making it now. But make no mistake— this is the argument that he’s making with all his “legitimate rape” and “stress prevents pregnancy” bullshit. He’s doing it to hide how he wants to compel rape victims to bear their rapist’s baby. And for that, he is Asshole of the Day.
It is Todd Akin’s first time as Asshole of the Day.
Full story: Mother Jones
Heartbreaking Simpsons Moments 1/∞: Bart Gets an F
I never understood why it’s an F if he gets more than half out of 100? Unless it’s more than 100. If you get more than half the answers right how is it an F?
You must not be from America. Here, grading is fucked up.
Average American Grading Scale:
A - 94-96
A- - 90-93
F- 59 and under
oh wow that is fucked up
why do they skip E in america
There’s an E in other grading scales?
And in some places in America it goes by a 7 point scale, so it’d be
A - 100-93
B - 92-85
C - 84-78
D - 77-70
F - 69 and below
Now you understand why American kid’s feel like there’s no point to school. If you have a 100 question text, and get 79 of them correct, that’s a C. That mean’s your Average Intelligence on this particular subject. And it get’s even worse when you have only like… a 10 question quiz. If you get two wrong? that’s a B. 80 fucking %. Now tell me again why American school’s are easier?
No wait but whats the grading system in other countries?
UK Grading Scale
Below 40: F
ARE YOU FUCKING WITH ME?! THATS INSANE!!!!
next time you try to tell americans that we’re stupid
i’m gonna remind you
that our “average” is your “A”
Saving THIS for future reference.
#is that true?
Yep I was shocked when I heard this in a different post but a Google search pulls up a ton of sites backing this up.
Shit son I woulda passed College Algebra with an A in the UK. And I spent the end of the semester in perpetual fear that I would fail and have to retake the class.
#australia is a - 90-100#b 76-89#c 50-75#d 40-49#e 25-39#f below 24#so uh#america you fucked up
I hate you all. I freak out when I get a 76.
And basically as an American you’re expected to get 80 or higher. Technically 70s are considered ‘average’ but there is such a level of pressure to get a B or higher, that Cs have become equal to Ds. Basically anything under 60 you might as well gotten a 0, and anything between 60-80 is considered practically failing. So basically schools have to be designed to make sure majority of students are getting 80s or higher on specific topics, which means you’re spending all your time going over a few choice facts a billion times and there is very little room to teach anything else. Which explains why American schools are of such low quality. The insane demand on the students ends up wrecking their education. Not only do you not have time to teach them anything, but they end up hating learning. Even outside of school your life is dedicated to memorizing these few dumb facts because your homework ends up taking hours of your time. A teacher from one subject says they expect you to spend 2 hours every night on their homework. And if you’re studying 5 subjects and they all demand that 2 hours? Good fucking luck, because if you don’t have straight all 80s or higher you’re not getting into a good college and college degrees have somehow become the minimum requirement for getting jobs.
- (A gay couple has just met up in the restaurant and kissed each other upon arrival. Another customer has seen this and is obviously angry.)
- Angry Customer: “Damn f**s.”
- Gay Man: “Excuse me?”
- Angry Customer: “You heard me, you little s***. Let’s not make this into some little pride protest, okay? I have to accept that you’re going to live your lifestyle, and you have to accept that I’ve got freedom of speech.”
- Gay Man: *quietly* “Is it too much to ask for a little human decency?”
- Angry Customer: “Human? Listen up, what you’re doing is not human. I think I have the right to determine what I think is human.”
- (The manager shows up. He’s a quiet Italian man who I assume is conservative due to the Christian imagery and portrait of Reagan he keeps around the restaurant.)
- Angry Customer: *to the owner* “Hey, can you move either them or us to another table?”
- (Instead of responding to the angry customer, the owner instead speaks to his wife.)
- Owner: “I’m sorry ma’am, but we have a strict ‘no pets’ policy in my restaurant.”
- Wife: “Uh, I, uh, what? I don’t have a—”
- Owner: “Well, according to your talking monkey over here, I can determine who’s a human and who’s not. You bring an animal into my restaurant; I gotta assume it’s your pet.”
- (The angry customer storms out. When I left, the owner was giving his description, and copies of security camera footage, to the biggest crowd of police I’ve seen. Apparently it’s a bad idea to not pay your bill at a restaurant that gives free coffee to cops.)
A very good way of going about explaining this issue. It’s good to see something positive come from Tumblr.
HOLY SHIT. THIS. THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO TELL PEOPLE. SHUT YOUR MOUTH ABOUT MEN VS WOMEN. @_@
this is literally so important
This is the best example and illustration I have yet to find. If more people realized that this is what equality is pushing for then we would be better off.
why are you so fired up over feminism and rape culture
- because i woke up from a nap with a boys hands sliding down my jeans and when I left him with a black eye he told everyone i was a bitch and a slut that he used for sex when I had never had sex at all
- because my close friend was raped in her dorm room and now she can’t get in bed without checking that the door is locked 3 times
- because “she was asking for it” is still said
- because no doesn’t mean no in todays society
- because i can’t wear shorts in 90 degree weather without being oversexualized
- because the phrase “boys will be boys” is still in existance
- BECAUSE IT IS IMPORTANT AND SOMETHING TO BE FIRED UP OVER
Over 1 millions children are killed every year in elective abortions, almost 50,000 of them after 16 weeks. Now let’s talk about how to best save their lives. #abortion #forthechildren
I really just love pro-life logic.
Why help those who have been born when we can stick our noses into other people’s private health care matters? Lets try to get them to keep their pregnancies! We can go back to ignoring them after they give birth.
Yeah, makes total sense, right?
You want to save children?
How about we start with the 397,000 in foster care in the U.S. and give them loving, permanent homes? x
Or the 1.5 million homeless children in america? X
Or the 16.2 million children who are going hungry in america? X
Or the 18,900,000 children who are refuges, running from violence in their homelands? X
Or the 6 million children in the U.S. alone who are abused each year? X
Or the 1.2 million children who are trafficked, sold as slaves, usually sexual slaves, each year? X
Oh, no, let’s start with the non-sentient fetuses that can’t feel pain, or know what’s going on.
Let’s ignore these millions and millions of living, breathing children who are living through hell right now.